Description: In the article the question of an estimation of the least reached uncertainty of measurements of the calibration laboratory accredited on conformity to requirements of the standard ISO/IEC 17025. Since the uncertainty of measurements is a quantitative measure of measurement accuracy, the evaluation of measurement accuracy is one of the tasks of ensuring their unity. One of the essential criteria characterizing the scope of accreditation of a calibration laboratory accredited by the National Agency for Accreditation of Ukraine for compliance with the requirements of ISO / IEC 17025 is the smallest attainable measurement uncertainty. The analysis of the “scope of accreditation” of calibration laboratories shows that due to the lack of standardized calibration techniques for measuring instruments, the laboratories have to develop the techniques themselves based on their experience and knowledge. This state of affairs in assessing the quality of measurements does not contribute to ensuring their unity. The procedure for estimating the smallest achievable measurement uncertainty in calibrating a digital caliper was considered, sources of uncertainty were identified and evaluated, and an uncertainty budget was drawn up. The quality of the assessment of calibration and measurement capabilities depends on common sense, critical thinking and professional integrity of the personnel of the calibration laboratory involved in obtaining it. The development of a unified regulatory and methodological document to clarify the assessment of measurement uncertainty in the calibration of measuring equipment means the key to ensuring uniformity of measurements in Ukraine.
Keywords: calibration laboratory, accreditation, calibration of measuring equipment, measurement uncertainty, calibration and measurement capability
1. State Standard of Ukraine (2006), “ ISO/IEC 17025:2006 Zaghaljni vymoghy do kompetentnosti vyprobuvaljnykh ta ka-libruvaljnykhlaboratorij” [ISO/IEC 17025:2006 General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories], Minekonomrozvytku Ukrajiny, Kyiv.
2. Zakharov, I.P. and Novosеlov, O.A. (2017), “Opredeleniye izmeritel'nykh i kalibrovochnykh vozmozhnostey kalibro-vochnoy laboratorii v protsesse yeye akkreditatsii” [Determination of the measuring and calibration capabilities of the calibration laboratory in the process of its accreditation], Ukrainian metrological journal, No. 4, pp. 3-11. https://doi.org/10.24027/2306-7039.4.2017.125040.
3. International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (2013), ILAC-P14:01/2013: ILAC Policy for Uncertainty in Calibra-tion, ILAC, Sydney, Australia.
4. European Accreditation (1999), ЕА - 4/02: Expression of the uncertainty of measurement in calibration, ЕА, Paris, France.
5. The official site National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine (2018), “Reiestr akredytovanykh OOV” [Register of accredited conformity assessment body], available at: http://naau.org.ua/reyestr-akreditovanix-oov/ (accessed 08 October 2018).
6. Konstantinova, V.R. (2011), “Nekotoryye voprosy po otsenke neopredelennosti v laboratornoy praktike” [Some questions on uncertainty assessment in laboratory practice], Information Processing Systems, No. 1 (91), pp. 12-15.
7. Khorskiy, Y. (2008), “Otsenivaniye neopredelennosti pri akkreditatsii kalibrovochnykh i ispytatel'nykh laboratoriy” [Evaluation of uncertainty in the accreditation of calibration and testing laboratories], Information Processing Systems, No. 4(71), pp. 15-18.
8. The official site National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine (2018), “Dokument Natsyonalnoho ahentstva po akkredy-tatsyy Ukrayny” [Document National Accreditation Agency of Ukraine], available at: https://naau.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/IH-08.02.05_red_02_Formuvannya-sfery%60-akredy%60tatsiyi-KL.pdf (accessed 26 October 2018).
9. State Standard of Ukraine, (2009), “166:2009 Shtangentsirkuli. Tekhnicheskiye usloviya” [166:2009 Calipers. Technical conditions], Minekonomrozvytku Ukrajiny, Kyiv.
10. State Standard of Ukraine, (2009), “9038:2009 Mery dliny kontsevyye ploskoparallel'nyye. Tekhnicheskiye usloviya” [9038:2009 Measures of the length of the end plane-parallel. Technical conditions], Minekonomrozvytku Ukrajiny, Kyiv.
11. Novitskiy, P.V. and Zograf, I.A. (1991), “Otsenka pogreshnostey rezul'tatov izmereniy” [Estimation of errors in meas-urement results], Energoatomizdat, Leningrad, Russia.
12. Vodotyka, S.V. and Zakharov, I.P. (2011), “Uchet pogreshnosti kvantovaniya pri otsenivanii neopredelennosti rezul'-tatov izmereniy s mnogokratnymi nablyudeniyami” [Accounting for the quantization error when estimating the uncertainty of measurement results with multiple observations], Information Processing Systems, No. 8 (98), pp. 39-44.
13. Markov, N.N., Kayner, G.B. and Satserdotov, A.V. (1967), “Pogreshnosti i vybor sredstv lineynykh izmereniy” [Errors and choice of means of linear measurements], Mashinostroyeniye, Moscow, Russia.