Description: The analysis shows that air assault groupings capable of handling both operational and strategic tasks take the leading role in present-day local wars and armed conflicts. Also aircrafts and unmanned aerial vehicles can be used to make terrorist acts on civil and military objects. The article states that the importance of airborne warfare is gaining momentum. It argues that measures to improve airborne warfare efficiency must have practical focus and include developing new and modernizing the existing means of armed fight, and improving the methods and tactics of their use in order to translate the operational art into tactical actions. The article exposes challenges facing Ukrainian Air Force, and presents opinions about operational art improvement and forms of deployment of Ukrainian Air Force in line with contemporary airborne warfare trends. The Ukrainian Air Force can be deployed in air defense operations. It is proposed to analyse the feasibility and expediency of deploying Ukraine’s Air Force in an operation which could become a model operation, be it stand-alone or as part of air defence action. The article further sets out the operation’s purpose and components as well as the primary tasks assigned to Ukrainian Air Force. The airborne groupings can be used in air-to-air and anti-aircraft combat. The option presented in this article involves the use of Ukrainian Air Force at the strategic, operational, operational-tactical and tactical levels mindful of the enemy’s airborne assault actions, spatial indicators and other factors. The article further argues that Ukrainian Air Force must be developed not only through the procurement and modernisation of weapons and military equipment, but also through the improvement of Ukrainian Air Force’s operational art, and lays down the main avenues for this process. The solution of problems in the field of operative art is impossible without increasing the efficiency of military-scientific work, more active participation of scientists of scientific institutions.
Keywords: operational art, air defense, air defensive (anti-aircraft) operation, grouping of troops, Air Forces
1. Stepanov, H.S., Kaminsky, V.V. and Pavlenko, M.A. (2018), “Poglyadi schodo problemnih pitan zastosuvannya povitryanih sil v protipovitryaniy oboroni” [Views on problematic issues of application of air force in air defense], Science and Technology of the Air Force of Ukraine, No. 1(30), pp. 18-23. https://doi.org/10.30748/nitps.2018.30.03.
2. Stepanov, H.S. (2012), “Dosvіd іnozemnih derzhav shhodo zdіjsnennya prikrittya ob'єktіv vіd mozhlivih teroristichnih atak (aktіv) z povіtrya pri provedennі zahodіv mіzhnarodnogo rіvnya” [The experience of the foreign states in relation to the
implementation of protection of objects from possible terrorist attacks (acts) from air during the events of international level] Science and Technology of the Air Force of Ukraine, No. 1(7), pp.17-20.
3. Lutsyshyn, A.M., Stepanov, H.S. and Kostiuk, I.A. (2018), “Problemi viznachennya upravlinnya protipovitryanoyu obo-ronoyu pid chas provedennya operatsiyi zbroynih sil” [Problem management air defences during the operation of the armed forces] Control, Navigation and Communication Systems, No. 1(47), pp. 52-58.
4. Shchipansky, P.V., Puhovy, O.V. and Stepanov, H.S. (2014), “Napryamki rozvitku rodіv avіacії ta rodіv vіjsk Povіtryanih Sil v perspektivnіj strukturі Zbrojnih Sil Ukrayni” [Directions for the development of Branches of Aviation and Armed Services of Air Force in the future structure of the Armed Forces of Ukraine], Research papers collection of the Center of military and strategic studies of the National University of Defense of Ukraine named after Ivan Chernyakhovsky, No. 2(51), pp. 83-87.
5. Artemenko, A.M., Astakhov, O.O., Koval, V.V. and Zharik, O.M. (2015), “Poglyadi shhodo podalshogo rozvitku form і sposobіv zastosuvannya Povіtryanih Sil Zbrojnih Sil Ukrayni v suchasnih operacіyah (bojovih dіyah)” [Views on further devel-opment of forms and methods of the application of the Air Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in modern operations (combat actions)], Science and Technology of the Air Force of Ukraine, No. 2(19), pp. 6-9.
6. Zagorka, O.M., Tymoshenko, R.I. and Zagorka, І.O. (2015), “Analіz pіdhodіv dlya viznachennya docіlnih form і sposobіv bojovih dіj ugrupovan vіjsk (sil)” [Analysis of approaches for determination of expedient forms and methods of combat actions of grouping of troops (forces)], Research papers collection of the Center of military and strategic studies of the National University of Defense of Ukraine named after Ivan Chernyakhovsky, No. 1(53), pp. 7-12.
7. Kirichenko, S.O. (2006), “Tendentsiyi rozvitku zbroynoyi borotbi ta form i sposobiv zastosuvannya ugrupovan viysk” [Trends in the development of armed struggle and the forms and methods of using groups of troops], Science and Defense, No. 4, pp. 39-42.
8. Lazebnik, S.V., Malyuga, V.G. and Misura, O.M. (2017), “Rozvitok operativnogo mistectva, form ta sposobіv zastosu-vannya Povіtryanih Sil” [Development of major tactics, forms and methods of application of Air Force], Scientific Works of Kharkiv National Air Force University, No. 5(54), pp. 15-18.
9. Petrov, V.M., Tikhonov, I.M. and Zabolotny, O.V. (2015), “Problemi operativnogo mistectva Povіtryanih Sil Zbrojnih Sil Ukrayni” [Problems of major tactics of the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine], Scientific Works of Kharkiv National Air Force University, No. 4(49), pp. 35-37.
10. Petrushenko, M.M., Gamora, V.V. and Koval, V.V. (2011), “Do pitannya podalshogo rozvitku form і sposobіv zastosuvannya Povіtryanikh Sil Zbrojnikh Sil Ukrainy” [To the issue of further development of forms and methods of the application of Air Forces of Armed Forces of Ukraine], Science and Technology of the Air Force of Ukraine, No. 2(6), pp. 4-6.
11. Tkachenko, V.I. (2009), “Operativne mistetstvo Povitryanih Sil v suchasnih umovah rozvitku voennoyi nauki” [Opera-tion art of the Air Forces in modern conditions of the development of military science], Scientific Works of Kharkiv National Air Force University, No. 1(1), pp. 10-13.
12. Shamko, Ye.V., Zharyk, O.M. and Koval, V.V. (2018), “Rozvitok form i sposobіv zastosuvannya Povіtryanih Sil Zbro-jnih Sil Ukrayni v suchasnykh umovakh vedennia zbroinoi borotby” [Development of forms and methods of application of Air Force of Ukraine under present-day conditions during armed struggle], Science and Technology of the Air Force of Ukraine, No. 2(31), pp. 9-15. https://doi.org/10.30748/nitps.2018.31.01.