Description: The article discusses the main approaches to the creation of swarm weapons. It is a group of unmanned aerial vehicles, which are united in a swarm controlled as one. A swarm may consist of homogeneous and heterogeneous unmanned aerial vehicles capable of performing private tasks independently in order to achieve the main objective of the swarm. The analysis of the development of swarm weapons by the leading countries of the world has been conducted and the main trends of its creation have been determined. Unmanned aerial vehicles, united in swarms provide for coordinated actions of the devices, which interact with each other and the environment. Each unit performs simple basic rules, but in the aggregate they act as a complex organism, capable of making decisions, shaping flight routes and choosing targets. Roy has no leader and can adapt to changes in the team. The swarm may include unmanned aerial vehicles, which, according to their functional purpose, have different tasks, such as: conducting optical-electronic and (or) radar reconnaissance, performing fighting tasks in accordance with the war load, has on board processing means, communications and data transmission. Тhe operator guides the unmanned aerial vehicles, and monitors the progress of the task and at any time can interfere. The control of swarm weapons is based on the methods of decentralized collective control, which allow to control the flight of a group of unmanned aerial vehicles. The swarm control system, unlike the control system of single unmanned aerial vehicles, requires an additional network of information exchange between unmanned aerial vehicles. Information about positioning, the orientation of the apparatus in space, building into battle formations in accordance with the situation circulates in this network. To counteract swarm weapons, electronic warfare devices are considered to be one of the most promising, which should disrupt control inside the swarm of unmanned aerial vehicles.
Keywords: unmanned aerial vehicle, development trends, swarm of unmanned aerial vehicles, swarm weapons, collective control method
1. (2018), “U Syrii aviabaza Rosii zaznala novoi ataky” [In Syria, the air base of Russia suffered a new attack], available at: https://ukr.segodnya.ua/world/wnews/v-sirii-aviabaza-rossii-podverglas-novoy-atake-1103820.html.
2. (2018), “Rossyiskuiu avyabazu v Syryy atakovaly bespylotnyky – vtoroi raz za nedeliu” [Russian air base in Syria was attacked by drones – the second time in a week], available at: https://www.bbc.com/russian/news-42596160.
3. (2018), “Nachalnyk Upravlenyia stroytelstva y razvytyia systemy prymenenyia BPLA Henshtaba VS RF heneral-maior Aleksandr Novykov provel bryfynh dlia predstavytelei rossyiskykh y zarubezhnykh SMY” [Major General Alexander Novikov, Head of the Directorate for Construction and Development of the UAV Application System of the General Staff of the RF Armed Forces, gave a briefing to representatives of Russian and foreign media], available at: https://function.mil.ru/news_page/country/more.htm?id=12157872@egNews.
4. (2017), Department of Defense Announces Successful Micro-Drone Demonstration, available at: https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Releases/News-Release-View/Article/1044811/department-of-defense-announces-successful-micro-drone-demonstration.
5. (2017), “SShA provely yspytanye krupneisheho v myre “roia” mynyatiurnykh “bespylotnykov”” [The United States conducted a test of the world's largest “swarm” of miniature “UAVs”], available at: https://news.rambler.ru/weapon/35786960/?utm_content=rnews&utm_medium=read_more&utm_source=copylink.
6. (2017), “Pentahon uspeshno yspytal roi yz 103 bespylotnykov” [The Pentagon successfully tested a swarm of 103 drones], available at: https://geektimes.ru/post/284474/.
7. (2016), ““Roi” dronov Pentahona” [“Swarm” of Pentagon drones], available at: www.cezarium.com/ swarm-of-drones/.
8. (2017), “Bespylotnye letateljnye apparaty obiedynjajutsja v “roy”” [Unmanned aerial vehicles are combined into “swarms”], available at: www.secnews.ru/articles/23323.htm#ixzz539pf9sT2 Security News.
9. (2015), “Proekt “Sarancha”. Smerteljnyj roj udarnykh bespylotnykov yspytan VMS SShA” [Project “Locust”. The deadly swarm of shock drone tested by the US Navy], available at: https://rusmonitor.com/proekt-sarancha-smertelnyjj-rojj-udarnykh-bespilotnikov-vms-ssha.html.
10. (2016), ““Rojashhyesja” bespylotnyky-sarancha LOCUST opredeljat budushhee VMS SShA” [Locally droning LOCUST drones will determine the future of the US Navy], available at: www.newsader.com/26896-royashhiesya-bespilotniki-sarancha-bud/.
11. ”Bespylotnyky-kamykadze: zachem amerykanskym voennym “stay saranchy”” [Kamikaze UAVs: Why do the American military need “locust swarms”], available at: https://tvzvezda.ru/news/forces/content/201504270735-ks7v.htm.
12. ”DARPA sobyraet bespylotnyky v roj” [DARPA collects drones in a swarm], available at: https://cont.ws.
13. (2017), “V Rossyy sozdajut nejrosetj dlja upravlenyja roem bespylotnykov” [In Russia, create a neural network to control a swarm of UAVs], available at: www.военное.рф/2017/%D0%91%D0%BF%D0%BB%D0%B010/.
14. ”V Rossyy vpervye yspytaly roj bespylotnykov” [In Russia for the first time experienced a swarm of UAVs], available at: www.mk.ru/politics/2018/11/20/v-rossii-vpervye-ispytali-roy-bespilotnikov.
15. (2018), “Roj bespylotnykov. Novaja taktyka boevykh dejstvyj unykaljnogho oruzhyja Kytaja” [Swarm drone. New tactics of fighting unique weapons of China], available at: www.tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/5786857.
16. Ivanov, D.Ya. (2011), “Metody roevogho yntellekta dlja upravlenyja ghruppamy malorazmernykh bespylotnykh letateljnykh apparatov” [Methods of swarm intelligence for controlling groups of small-sized unmanned aerial vehicles], Izvestia SFU, pp. 222-225.
17. Skobelev, P.O. (2003), “Otkrytye muljtyaghantnye systemy dlja operatyvnoj obrabotky ynformacyy v procesakh prynjatyja reshenyj: dyssertacyja” [Open multiagant systems for on-line information processing in decision-making processes: dissertation], Samara, 418 p.
18. Prilipukhov, Ye.V. and Dolina, V.G. (2017), “Problemy upravlinnja ghrupoju avtonomnykh rukhomykh ob'jektiv u 3D prostori” [Problems of managing a group of autonomous moving objects in 3D space], available at: www.iojnfs.net/infocom2017/problems-u///.
19. Paliy, A.I. (1989), “Radyoelektronnaja borjba” [Radio fight wrestling], Military publishing house, Moscow, 350 p.