Description: The latest types of armament, including small arms and melee weapon began to be widely used, first of all, by special units of National Guard of Ukraine and than by special operation units of Armed Forces of Ukraine since the beginning of antiterrorist operation (ATO) in the East of our country. In many cases such samples were bought either from the State-owned Scientific and Production Union “Fort” of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine or from the leading countries in order to increase the effectiveness of units’ appliance in a battle. In the end of 2009 the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine decreed on acceptance of the Tar-21 assault rifle for service for the Border Security Forces, Security Service of Ukraine and External Intelligence, and later this rifle began to be produced by Scientific and Production Union(SPU) “Fort”, which (rifle) was named “Fort 221”. The order and maintenance methods for 5,56 and 5,45 mm assault rifles “Fort 221” were proposed in the technical documents of the product. Moreover, the document refers to the need of detail stripping of the assault rifle, but the description of this action is absent. The authors proposed the method for the detail stripping of the assault rifle in the article. Therefore, the order of the detail stripping of the assault rifle is: 1. To carry out a field strip: to push on a stock blocking pin up to the stop and open a rubber boss of the stock; to pull the automatic movable parts out of the stock; to push on the end buffer, till the guide rod edge goes out over the buffer; bending the AMS (automatic movable system) pull out the bolt carrier pin; to detach a bolt from the bolt carrier assembly; to detach a striker; to detach a return spring from the buffer; to detach a piston tube with a piston guide; to detach a guide rod. 2. Then carry out the detail stripping in the next order: to detach trigger and firing mechanism (TFM) with bolt carrier stopper (bolt stop); to detach a front sling; to detach a forearm; to detach a Picatinny rail; to detach clutch handle frame from the bolt carrier assembly; to remove a fixing joint and detach a barrel; to detach a gas tube. However, the special maintenance aspects of the latest small arms SPU “Fort”, which were accepted for service in National Guard of Ukraine, were not considered at present. As soon as such rifles came into operation in the special operation units of the National Guard of Ukraine, they began to be actively used. Now regarding the maintenance, according to the technical documents of the noticed weapon, it is carried out with the indicated periodicity for the rifle`s field strip. Such an approach of the producer raises the list of questions according to the maintenance of other weapon parts, small and medium repair works, reduction of stoppages during firing, etc. That is why the article offers some specific order aspects of the detail stripping for the maintenance and temporary repair of the latest small arms SPU “Fort 221”, which are accepted for service in the National Guard of Ukraine units.
Keywords: Assault rifle; service; sequence of complete disassembly, maintenance, current repairs
1. The Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (2009), “Pro prijnyattya na ozbroyennya zrazkiv strileckoyi zbroyi
№1577-r vid 23 grudnya 2009 roku” [On the Adoption of Small Arms Samples No. 1577-r dated 23.12.2009], available at:
2. The official site of the National Guard of Ukraine (2014), “Bila kniga – 2014. Zbrojni sili Ukrayini” [White Paper -
2014. Armed Forces of Ukraine], available at: ngu.gov.ua.
3. NVO “Fort” (2015), “5,56 y 5,45mm shturmovaja vyntovka “Fort 221”. Tekhnycheskoe opysanye” [5.56 and 5.45mm
assault rifle “Fort 221”. Technical description], 23 p.
4. Pistryak, P.V. (2017), “Rekomendaciyi shodo povnogo rozbirannya gvintivok ta pistoletiv-kulemetiv VO “Fort” [Recommendations
for the complete dismantling of the “Fort” guns and gun pistols], Naukove zabezpechennya sluzhbovo-bojovih dij
NG Ukrayini: zb. tez. dop. VIII nauk.-prakt. konf., NANGU, Harkiv, P. 26.
5. Pistryak, P.V., Afanasyev, V.V. and Cherkashin, S.D. (2018), “Shturmova gvintivka Fort-221” [Fort-221 assault rifle],
NANU, Kharkiv, 20 p.
6. Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine (2014), “Kerivnictvo z ekspluataciyi. Shturmova gvintivka “Fort 221” kalibra
5,45H39mm” [Operation Manual. The assault rifle “Fort 221” caliber 5.45Х39mm], Kazenne naukovo-virobniche
ob’yednannya Fort, 24 p.
7. (2018), “TAR-21” [TAR-21], available at: www.uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAR-21.
8. Zhbanchik, O.G., Komisarov, O.G., Timofyeyev, V.P., Sirotchenko, D.Yu. and Kuznecov, O.I. (2017), “Vogneva
pidgotovka” [Fire training], DDUVS, Dnipro, 149 p.
9. “Avtomatychna zbroja. Shturmova ghvyntivka “Fort-221” [Automatic. Assault rifle “Fort 221”], available at:
10. “IWI Tavor” [IWI Tavor], available at: http://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/IWI Tavor.
11. Dovbnya, V.V.(2009), “Zbroya pidrozdiliv specialnogo priznachennya [Weapons of special purpose units], Akad. VV
MVS Ukrayini, Kharkiv, 281 p.
12. Fedorov, V.V., Balva, A.F. and Pistryak, P.V. (2018), “Vogneva pidgotovka” [Fire training], Kharkiv, 324 p.