Description: In an article, the method for evaluating the reference coverage area value of cassette high-explosive submunition of the multiple launch rocket system is considered. The analysis of existing methods for calculating the reference damage area was carried out, which showed that these calculations do not take into account the incidence angle of cluster munitions to the surface at the target. The necessity of additional consideration the incidence angle to the surface of the high-explosive cluster submunition shell splinters, as well as the height of the vulnerable part of the elementary destruction object relative to the flow of damaging elements when assessing the value of the reference lesion area was confirmed. The methodology of the study is using the methods of numerical integration of a differential equations system describing the movement of the combat element mass center in a vertical plane to obtain the dependence of the area value of grouping the impact incidence points of combat elements from the firing range. The trajectories of the striking elements were described analytically in the range of scattering angles of shell splinters to estimate their possible ranges, spatial geometry for deriving the functional dependence the values of the upper and lower bounds of the striking elements flow relative to the incidence angle values of combat elements to the surface, the spread of the angles and the direction of fragment distribution. The simplest model of the vulnerability of a given elementary object was also used to estimate the reference area of fragmentation damage. The dependence of the reference kills area dimensions of cluster submunition shell splinters which formed when exploding one cassette of a high-explosive cluster submunition on the firing range was obtained. Achieved results can be used at calculating the required number of rocket projectiles for inflicting specified damage to a group object.
Keywords: missile, cluster warhead, high-explosive fragmentation element, damaging element, vulnerability model, killing range, reference fragmentation lesion area
1. Alimpiev, A.M., Pevtsov, G.V. and Grib, D.A. (2015), “Dovidnyk uchasnyka ATO: ozbroiennia i viiskova tekhnika
Zbroinykh Syl Rosiiskoi Federatsii” [Reference book of the participant of the ATO: armament and military equipment of the
Armed Forces of the Russian Federation], Original, Kharkiv, 732 p.
2. Hazov, V.A. (2008), “Prakticheskie rekomendacii artillerijskim komandiram (nachal'nikam) i shtabam po vypolneniyuognevyh
zadach reaktivnym polkom” [Practical recommendations to artillery commanders (chiefs) and staffs on the implementa-
tion of fire missions by a jet regiment], Journal of Scientific Publications, No. 4, рр. 250-253, available at: www.jurnal.
3. Henelsmith, Nina (2016), Projectile Motion: Finding the Optimal Launch Angle, Whitman College, 38 p.
4. Bobrikov, A.A. (2006), “Ocenka ehffektivnosti ognevogo porazheniya udarami raket i ognem artillerii: voennoteoreticheskij
trud” [Evaluation of the effectiveness of fire damage by missile strikes and artillery fire: military theoretical work],
Galeya Print, Sankt-Peterburg, 421 p.
5. Svertilov, Nikolay (2006), The XXI century encyclopedia. Vol. 12. Ordnance and munition, Russia's Arms Technologies,
Moscow, 844 p.
6. Min, Kuk Choi, Jihoon, Han, Sangjin, Park, and Woo, Jin Az, (2018), Efficient Method to Evaluate Critical Ricochet
Angle of Projectile Penetrating into a Concrete Target, Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2018, 12 p.
7. Brehm, Maya and Borrie, John (2010), Explosive Weapons: Framing the Problem – final report, GICHD, Geneva,
8. Dullum, O. (2010), The Rocket Artillery Reference Book, Norwegian Defense Research Establishment, 178 p., available
9. Zecevica, Berko, Catovic, Alan, Terzic, Jasmin and Serdarevic, Kadic Sabina (2010), Analysis of influencing factors of
mortar projectile reproduction process on fragment mass distribution, Defense Technologies Department, pp. 783-795.
10. Zviglyanich, S.N. and Litvinov, Yu.S. (2005), “Obosnovaniye modeli otsenivaniya stepeni porazheniya ob'yektov pri
ispol'zovanii kassetnoy boyevoy chasti” [Justification of the model of assessing the degree of damage to objects when using a
cluster warhead], Information Processing Systems, No. 2(42), pp. 35-40.
11. Tarasov, V.M., Zhuravlov, O.O., Iziumskyi, M.P. and Shyhimaha, N.V. (2018), “Metod analitychnoi otsinky rozmiriv
oblasti rozsiiuvannia tochok padinnia boiovykh elementiv pislia rozkryttia kasetnoi boiovoi chastyny” [A method of analytical estimation of battle elements falling points dispersion area space after opening cassette warhead of large caliber rocket], Systems
of Arms and Military Equipment, No. 4(56), pp. 60-66. https://doi.org/10.30748/soivt.2018.56.09.
12. Zhuravlov, O.O. and Ivanets, M.H. (2012), “Model otsiniuvannia parametriv dynamichnoho polia vrazhaiuchykh elementiv,
shcho formuietsia pry rozryvi odnoho nekeruiemoho oskolkovo-fuhasnoho boiovoho elementa” [Model of estimation of
the parameters of the dynamic field of the impressive elements, which is formed when a single non-guided fragmented-highexplosive
military element breaks], Systems of Arms and Military Equipment, No. 2(30), pp. 55-58.